This tom yum soup is the perfect balance of sweet and sour. The combined flavor of fresh lemongrass, lime juice, ginger, and spicy chilis will tantalize your tastebuds, while mushrooms and tofu add bulk. This is the perfect chilly weather recipe, especially when served with a portion of brown rice.
Shiitake and Tofu Tom Yum Soup [Vegan]
- 1 4-ounce can mushrooms
- 6 shiitake mushroom
- 1/2 a carrot, finely chopped
- 3 green chilis/Thai peppers
- 1 teaspoon jaggery
- 3 thin slices of galangal
- 3 thin slices ginger
- 5 coriander stalks, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- 4 ounces tofu
- 2 1/2-3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemongrass stalks, chopped
- 1 red chili, crushed
- Salt, to taste
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 spring onion, chopped –
- Cilantro/coriander leaves, for garnish
- In a large pot, add all the ingredients mentioned in the list and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for at least 20 minutes, until all the flavors are well combined.
- Garnish it with cilantro or coriander leaves and serve while hot.
If you can’t find galangal, then add additional ginger slices. You can substitute jaggery with brown sugar/sugar.