In this recipe, shaved Brussels sprouts and massaged kale are tossed to make a bed of greens with contrasting flavors and textures. Massaging the kale gives it a bit of sweetness, while the raw Brussels sprouts add crunch. A champagne vinaigrette adds a tangy flavor to this crunchy salad. Topped with toasted nuts and coconut bacon, this salad is filling, flavorful, and ideal as a meal or as a side at dinner.
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad [Vegan]
For the Dressing:
- 1/3 cup minced shallots
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Juice of 1/2 a orange
- 2 teaspoons agave or stevia
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup champagne vinegar
For the Salad:
- 4 cups finely shredded kale, massaged
- 4 cups finely shredded Brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup pecans/walnuts, toasted
- Coconut bacon
To Make the Dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the champagne vinegar, minced shallots, mustard, lemon juice, orange juice, and agave nectar. Stream in the olive oil while whisking continuously until well combined.
- Season the dressing with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside in the fridge for the flavors to combine.
To Make the Salad:
- To slice the Brussels sprouts and kale, you can use a mandolin. Cut off the stems of the Brussels sprouts and slice whole. Massage the kale a little bit before combining it with the Brussels Sprouts to loosen the fibers.
- To shred the kale, strip the leaves from the stems, stack the leaves on top of one another, roll them up, and then slice.
- Preheat oven to 350°F, toast nuts for 10-15 minutes, turn halfway through for an even toast.
- In a large bowl, toss together the shredded kale, shredded Brussels sprouts, and toasted nuts. Add as much dressing as desired, tossing to combine.
- Throw the coconut bacon, nuts, cranberries, and greens into the salad together and top with the champagne vinaigrette.