This easy noodle bowl is filled with crunchy broccoli and sweet sliced red bell peppers. Rice or lo mein noodles are stir-fried with ginger, fresh garlic, and umami flavors. A sprinkle of sesame seeds and red pepper flakes add a finishing touch to this quick lunch meal.
Sesame Broccoli Noodle Bowl [Vegan]
- 1 8-ounce package wide lo mein or rice noodles (for gluten-free)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into small florets, about 2 cups
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into thin 1-inch strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari (for gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Cook the noodles according to package directions. Rinse and drain, then transfer to a large bowl.
- To prepare the sauce, combine the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ground ginger, and rice vinegar in a small bowl. Stir with a whisk until combined and set aside.
- In a large skillet, add 1 teaspoon sesame oil over medium heat. Add sesame seeds and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove sesame seeds from pan and add to bowl with noodles. They will stick to the pan, so you may need to use a spoon to get them out.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon sesame oil to the skillet. Add the broccoli and red pepper. Cook until the broccoli starts to soften, 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Add the broccoli and red peppers to the pasta. Add the sauce and green onions; stir. Serve immediately.
The noodles will soak up the sauce pretty quickly so only add the sauce if you are planning to eat immediately. Otherwise, keep the sauce separate and add before serving.