These savory bites are sure to be a hit! Made from wheat protein seasoned with nutritional yeast, sun-dried tomatoes, and aromatic spices, they are high in protein and full of flavor. The creamy roasted garlic dip really complements the flavor of the sun-dried tomato in the bites, so it is very likely that these won't last long at all.
High Protein Sun-Dried Tomato Seitan Bites [Vegan]
For the Seitan and Sun-Dried Tomato Bites:
- 2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 1 tablespoon of vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup aquafaba (liquid from a can of chickpeas)
- 4 slices stale bread, processed into bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Roasted Garlic Dip:
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1 cup vegan plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Chop the very top off the garlic bulb so each clove is exposed. Wrap in tin foil and place in the oven at 390°F for around 40 minutes, until the cloves have softened. Leave to one side to cool slightly.
- In a bowl, mix together the vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and sun-dried tomatoes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the soy sauce, vegetable stock, tomato purée, and vegan Worcestershire sauce. Pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir together. At this point, add more vegetable stock or vital wheat gluten, a small amount at a time, if your mixture is too dry or sticky. Knead the mixture until it forms a dough (around 2-3 minutes).
- Place the aquafaba and bread crumbs into separate bowls. Take around a tablespoon of the dough, form a ball and dip in the aquafaba before coating in the bread crumbs. Repeat until you have used up all the dough (you should be able to make around 20) and then place onto a lined baking tray.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the seitan and sun-dried tomato bites and then place in the oven at 390°F for 30 minutes until the bread crumbs are golden brown, turning halfway. Remove them from the oven and place a cocktail stick into the center of each and leave to cool slightly.
- To make the roasted garlic dip, place the peeled roasted garlic cloves in a food processor along with the vegan plain yogurt, lemon juice, and salt. Process for 30 seconds until smooth.
- The bites are best served fresh, but both the dip and bites can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days.