While the traditional recipe may or may not have dairy or eggs, this version is just as good as the one you’ll order in a restaurant and costs peanuts to make! Serve them as an appetizer along with the homemade ginger soy dipping sauce. Once you try these crispy pancakes once, you will never want to order takeout again.
Scallion Pancakes With Ginger Soy Dipping Sauce [Vegan]
For the Scallion Pancakes:
- 1 1/2 cups flour, divided
- 3/4 cups boiling water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
For the Ginger Soy Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Place 1 1/2 cups of flour in a bowl and pour in the boiling water while stirring. When the dough is cool enough to touch, knead it into a ball. Continue kneading on the counter until you’ve got a smooth ball – about 5 minutes. The dough should be tacky, but not overly sticky. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon of flour, 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil, and the sesame oil.
- Cut the dough into 4 pieces. Flour your counter and roll out one piece to a rough circle approximately 8 inches in diameter.
- Brush the entire surface with half a tablespoon of the oil-flour mixture and a quarter of the chopped green onions. Roll into a cylinder then coil the cylinder into a spiral, tucking the end underneath. Roll the spiral out into a circle approximately 4–5 inches.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the pancake with salt. Fry the pancake for 2 minutes each side or until golden brown. Continue with making the next pancake while the first is frying. Remove the fried pancake from the pan and drain on a paper-towel lined wire rack. If necessary, add more oil to the pan and continue frying the remaining pancakes.
- Combine all the ingredients for the dipping sauce. Cut each pancake into 6 triangles and serve with the dipping sauce.