Now, who can say no to pies? Definitely not to these delicious, savory veggie hand pies with a mildly spiced filling of carrots, cauliflower, peas, potatoes, onions, jalapeños, and tomatoes. What’s more – this recipe serves just two! No more leftovers and no more halving or quartering a large recipe. These hand pies are quite filling, so consider these a quick, easy and delicious meal for two or a dinner for two days.
Savory Vegetable Hand Pies [Vegan]
For the Pie Dough:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cold, vegan butter, cut in cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons ice cold water
For the Savory Filling:
- 1/2 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 cup onions, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger, grated finely
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder or paprika
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup potato, chopped
- 1/2 cup cauliflower florets, cut small
- 1/4 cup carrots, finely chopped
- A handful of green peas
- A small squirt of lemon juice
- Cilantro, to garnish
To Make the Pie Dough:
- In a food processor, combine the flour, butter, and salt. Pulse a few times until the flour becomes crumbly like sand.
- Add ice cold water into the crumbly flour while pulsing till the flour comes together.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface and bring together into a ball. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for at least an hour.
To Make the Filling:
- Cook the vegetables — cauliflower, carrots, peas, and potatoes — until almost well done.
- Heat oil in a pan and once hot, add cumin until it becomes fragrant.
- Sauté onions, jalapeño, ginger, and a pinch of salt until soft. Add tomatoes, cover and cook until it becomes mushy.
- Season with red chili powder, turmeric, and more salt. Stir in the cooked vegetables.
- Once all the water is cooked off, add garam masala, a squeeze of lemon juice, and cilantro.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely before filling.
To Make the Hand Pies:
- Remove pie dough from the refrigerator and divide into two. Set half aside and refrigerate the other.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into roughly a 9-inch circle. Try to make the outside edge thinner than the center.
- Repeat with the remaining half. If the filling is still not cold yet, stack the pie crusts with cling film between each piece and refrigerate until ready to fill.
- Place a few spoons of the filling in the center of each rolled out pie dough. Cover and crimp the edges.
- Brush with milk/egg wash and bake at 400°F for 30-40 minutes until crispy and lightly browned.
- Cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Adapted from Food Wishes.