Saucy BBQ Chickpeas and Green Beans [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 ½ cups green beans, cut into bite-size pieces
- ¼ cup natural ketchup
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 medium cloves garlic, grated
- 3 tablespoons coconut vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tamari or coconut aminos
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon chipotle hot sauce (optional; see note)
- 1/3 cup water
- ¼ cup minced shallot or onion
- 2 ½ cups chickpeas (see note)
- First, blanch the green beans. Bring 2–3 cups of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the beans, let cook for just a minute or two until vibrant green, then strain and run under cold water. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a bowl, whisk together the ketchup, tahini, Dijon mustard, garlic, vinegar, tamari, Worcestershire sauce, and chipotle hot sauce, and then whisk in the water. Once well incorporated, stir in the shallots.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking dish (I use an 8” x 11” dish, but a similar size will work). Add the chickpeas and stir through. Bake, covered, for 25 minutes.
- Add the green beans, stir through, re-cover, and bake for another 4–5 minutes (not much longer, or the beans will turn a gray color). Remove and serve.
Beans Note: If you are a little short on green beans, you can sub extra chickpeas—for example, you can use 1 cup of green beans and 3 cups of chickpeas. Or, if you prefer more green beans, you can do that too, and use less chickpeas! It’s a flexible recipe.
Serving Suggestions: Serve over a cooked grain like basmati brown rice, quinoa, or millet. A little chopped avocado on top is especially delicious!