If you're looking for a salad that is loaded with nutrients, but has a light, citrus taste, you're going to want to try this chickpea and satsuma orange salad. Spinach, avocado, and chickpeas make up the bulk of this dish, while the oranges, lemon, and chili powder add freshness and zest. Since the chickpeas are heated in a pan first, this is perfect for people who like salads that have a bit of warmth to them.
Satsuma Orange Chickpea Salad [Vegan]
For the Salad:
- 4 cups spinach, washed
- 2 satsuma oranges, peeled and divided
- 1/2 cup snap peas or snow peas, halved
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, cooked or canned
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Citrus Dressing:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, or walnut oil
- 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar, or white wine
- 1/2 shallot, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed satsuma orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon satsuma orange zest
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add spinach, oranges, peas, avocado, almonds, and hemp seeds to a bowl.
- Heat sesame oil in a small frying pan over medium heat and add chickpeas with spices and warm for approximately 4-5 minutes. Add to the bowl.
- Add all dressing ingredients together to a jar or bottle and shake. Pour over salad and serve.
If you do not want bits of shallot in your salad, use a spoon to keep them in the jar or bottle while you pour out the dressing.