These spicy date caramels are the perfect treat for winter! A sprinkle of sea salt works to balance out the sweetness of the dates while ginger and cinnamon provide all the warmth you could want. These are so easy to make, but so tough to resist!
Salted Gingerbread Caramels [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
- 1 packed cup of pitted Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup of raw almond butter
- 1/4 cup of unrefined virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon or more unsulphered blackstrap molasses
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, or to taste
- A pinch of cloves
- Soak the dates just for about 5 minutes in very hot water, then drain well. Blend everything in a food processor, stopping often to scrape the sides and bottom of the container. Keep going until the mixture is very smooth.
- Oil a 4×4-inch baking dish with oil and then scrape in the date caramel. Smooth the mixture with wet fingertips or a wet silicone spatula. Pop it in the freezer and let it firm up for a few hours.
- To remove, run a butter knife around the perimeter of the container and pried back one side, then used a spatula to scrape the bottom away from the dish and remove the whole square. Place the large caramel square on a sheet of parchment paper and cut it into smaller squares. Sprinkle with sea salt and store in the fridge (softer) or freezer (firmer). They will get very soft if left out at room temperature for too long.