This strawberry watermelon sorbet is the ideal treat for cooling off after a hot day. The watermelons light acidity provides a subtle base that accentuates the roasted strawberries rich, toasty sweetness.
Roasted Strawberry and Watermelon Sorbet [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 8 ounces strawberry, hulled
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 cup watermelon, medium cubes
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup sparkling apple juice
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl toss strawberries with the olive oil and 2 tablespoons sugar. Spread out the strawberries onto the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes, rotate and bake for 10 more minutes, or until the fruit is softened and juices begin to bubble. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- In a small saucepan mix 3/4 cup sugar with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes or until the sugar is completely dissolved and the syrup starts to thicken. Remove from the heat and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Transfer the roasted strawberries, with all their juices to a blender. Add the watermelon and the syrup. Blend until smooth. Strain the sorbet through a fine-mesh strainer into an airtight container. Add the lime juice and sparkling apple juice and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Pour into an ice cream machine and churn according to the manufacturer’s directions, or until the sorbet has become thick, around 20-25 minutes.
- Transfer to a storage container and let harden in the freezer for 3-4 hours.