This is a salad that will leave you satisfied. Tender, caramelized roasted cauliflower and crispy spiced chickpeas on a bed of spicy fresh arugula, provide a balance between roasted and raw vegetables. The salad is then topped with sweet and tart pomegranate seeds, crunchy almonds, and a slightly spicy tahini dressing. This is perfect as a side, or even a dinner, depending on how you want to divide portions.
Roasted Cauliflower and Spiced Chickpea Salad [Vegan]
For the Cauliflower:
- 1 medium cauliflower head, washed and cut into small florets
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Chickpeas:
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
For the Salad:
- 5 ounces baby arugula or any other salad green of your choice, thoroughly washed and dried
- 1 1/2 cups pomegranates seeds ( from about 1 small pomegranate)
- 2 tablespoons roasted and salted almonds, chopped
For the Dressing:
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons lukewarm water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat oven at 400°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place cauliflower on the baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt. Toss well until well coated. Bake for 20 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine sweet paprika, cumin, turmeric, salt, and black pepper. Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet. Add chickpeas and spices and toss gently, so the chickpeas are well coated with oil and spices. Cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes. Set aside.
- To prepare the dressing, whisk together tahini and lemon juice (the mix will thicken). Slowly whisk in water and salt, until well incorporated. Add rice vinegar and maple syrup and mix well. Refrigerate until ready to use
- Divide baby arugula into 2 large salad plates or bowls ( or 1, if you’re sharing the salad). Top each plate with warm cauliflower and chickpeas. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and almonds and add tahini dressing to taste.