This salad is a medley of flavors. First, cauliflower is roasted in a mixed spice dressing and roasted in the oven until tender. They're then combined with lentils, Medjool dates, and toasted almonds on a bed of greens. Topped with red onion and a drizzle of creamy dressing, this salad is warm, sweet, and a little bit sour.
Roasted Cauliflower and Lentil Salad With Dates [Vegan]
For the Salad:
- 1 cup uncooked green lentils, sorted and washed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 medium-sized head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 10-12 Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 small red onion, sliced thinly into half moon slices
- 2-3 cups of mixed greens or chopped green lettuce, rinsed
For the Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 1/2 tablespoons agave nectar or maple syrup
- Juice of 1 lemon, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons of water, to thin (or more based on the consistency you prefer)
To Make the Salad:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Prep a baking sheet with a parchment paper.
- Place lentils in a small pot and cover with 2 cups of water. Bring it to a boil and let it simmer for 20-25 minutes. When the lentils are cooked, drain and discard the water. Set lentils aside to cool.
- Place the cauliflower florets in a large bowl. Whisk together the oil and spices and pour it over the florets. Give it a thorough stir (preferably using your hands), making sure that most of the florets are covered with the mixture. Distribute them evenly on the baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes. Take them out of the oven and set aside to cool.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F. Spread the sliced almonds on the same baking sheet and toast for 8-10 minutes in the oven, gently tossing them halfway through. Keep an eye on them, as they can burn easily. When the almonds are finished roasting, remove them from the oven and let them cool on the kitchen counter.
To Make the Dressing:
- In the meantime, make the tahini dressing by whisking all the tahini dressing ingredients in a bowl.
- Place the greens in a large salad bowl. Add in the roasted cauliflower, lentils, almonds, dates, and red onion slices. Drizzle with the tahini dressing.
- Gently toss it while making sure that the dressing is distributed evenly within the salad.
- Serve immediately.
Adapted (with changes) from the Green Kitchen Stories.