If you've never roasted jackfruit, then the time is now, and it has to be with these sandwiches! Jackfruit makes a great filler for meaty, saucy sandwiches, but it takes on a different vibe when roasted. The edges get a little crispy and the flavor is much deeper. Stuffed in a roll with raw, crunchy cabbage and tangy vegan mayonnaise, these sandwiches don't need much to make eating them an amazing experience. Add a drizzle of hot sauce or some homemade mushroom gravy for a real food truck-esque experience.
Roast Jackfruit Rolls [Vegan]
- 2 20-ounce cans young jackfruit in brine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried mixed herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 6 soft long rolls
- 1 small iceberg lettuce, shredded
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Drain the jackfruit into a colander and break the chunks apart so you have stringy pieces. Squeeze to remove excess water and place into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, onion powder, garlic powder, herbs, nutmeg, cayenne, pepper, salt, and nutritional yeast. Mix well to create a paste.
- Pour the paste over the jackfruit, mixing well to make sure it’s evenly coated. Cover and place in the fridge for at least a couple of hours.
- Preheat your oven to 320°F and grease a baking tray with olive oil spray, or line with baking paper.
- Take the jackfruit out of the oven and spread it evenly onto the tray. Spray with a little extra olive oil and sprinkle with a little more brown sugar (optional).
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden. Some crunchy bits are good, but you still want majority of the jackfruit to be tender.
- Cut the rolls and stuff them with shredded lettuce before adding the jackfruit and a generous drizzle of vegan mayonnaise.