When life is hectic and you want something filling and nutritious to eat that can be put together in very little time, this recipe for tomato soup is a must-try. The secret ingredient in this comforting soup is butter beans. Not only to the beans make the soup rich in texture, they also add protein and fiber. Topped with a swirl of cashew cream, this picturesque soup is best served with a slice or two of crusty whole grain bread.
Rich and Creamy Tomato Soup [Vegan]
- 1 white onion
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1 14-ounce can butter beans in water
- 1 17.6-ounce can tomato purée
- 3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoons dried basil
- A pinch black pepper
- 1 cup water
- A splash oil
- A drizzle of cashew cream and olive oil, to garnish (optional)
- Finely chop the onion, add it to a frying pan with a splash of oil, and fry for 5 minutes over medium heat. Mince the garlic and add to the pan, reduce the heat slightly, and fry for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the cooked onion and garlic to the blender, add the butter beans, along with the water from the can, the soy sauce, and Worcester sauce. Top with tomato purée to the maximum fill line and blend thoroughly.
- Empty the blender into the saucepan, add the rest of the tomato purée, a cup of water, basil, and black pepper, and then simmer until warmed through.
- Serve the soup with some fresh bread.