This red velvet cake will knock your socks off. It’s great for Christmas or Valentine’s Day or any special occasion. This recipe is made with beets and cassava. Beets are high in vitamin C, fiber, potassium, protein, folate, and manganese. They may help lower blood pressure, fight cancer, and support detoxification. They are also a vegetable that is higher in sugar than most, so don’t go overboard. Cassava is a root plant/tuber which is high in carbohydrates and calories, but low on the glycemic index. Cassava is high in B-complex vitamins, iron, zinc, calcium, magnesium, and potassium. So this cake is not only delicious, but it is so nutrient rich as well.
Red Velvet Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 8 ounce can of beets
- 3/4 cup flax or almond milk
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup raw cacao
- 1 1/2 cup cassava flour
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a loaf pan with baking spray.
- In a blender, mix together beets, milk, lemon and ACV.
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients and stir to batter consistency.
- Pour into loaf pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-30 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool and top with frosting.