Sometimes simple is best. Yes, you can add nuts or apples or a whole variety of spices to these Simplicity Chocolate Pumpkin Bars. But we found the complementary flavors of pumpkin and chocolate worked perfectly together. A true case in point in support of the “less is more” philosophy. Perfect simplicity. And with the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, simplicity can take on another added meaning. You may be craving a warm, home-baked treat, but you want time spent with family not time alone in the kitchen. These Simplicity Chocolate Pumpkin Bars pack a trifecta of simplicity: flavors, ingredients, and time. So ease your way into a perfect treat tonight. Pumpkin and chocolate. Simply perfect!
Simplicity Chocolate Pumpkin Bars [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup Vegan Buttermilk, (Soy milk combined with 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Chocolate chips, dairy-free
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9 X 13 baking pan by spraying it with vegetable spray.
- In a small bowl combine the soy milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside to let the ingredients mingle a bit. The soy milk should thicken a little.
- In a medium bowl combine sugars, margarine, and peanut butter. Use a little elbow grease (or an electric mixer) and whip until light and fluffy. Add the remaining wet ingredients (pumpkin, soy buttermilk, and vanilla) and stir until well-combined.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, corn starch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour the dry ingredients over the pumpkin mixture and stir until the batter is smooth. Finally, add the chocolate chips and stir until incorporated throughout the batter.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool before serving.