These raw portobello mushroom burgers are not your typical burgers. The meaty mushroom caps are actually the buns and provide the bulk of the dish's protein. Inside, the caps are smeared with creamy, savory hemp cheese, and topped with fresh tomatoes, crunchy zucchini slices, and basil. Prepare these as the recipe dictates or set forth on your own burger path and add avocado, shredded carrot, or whatever your heart desires!
Raw Portobello Hemp Cheese Burgers [Vegan]
For the Marinated Mushrooms:
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon liquid aminos
For the Hemp Cheese:
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 zucchini
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
- Salt (optional)
For the Toppings:
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced zucchini
- Fresh spinach and basil
- To marinate the mushrooms, take a plastic bag, and place mushrooms in the bag.
- Pour the marinade, composed of liquid aminos and olive oil, in the bag and gently distribute it in and around the mushrooms.
- Lay flat for 1 hour. If you have time, place mushrooms in your dehydrator for about 3 hours, or until they have softened and darkened and smell amazing.
- While mushrooms are marinating, make the hemp cheese by blending all the ingredients together until smooth and thick.
- Taste and adjust accordingly.
- Scoop into a bowl lined with cheesecloth and let it sit for at least 2 hours.
- Fill your portobello burger with sliced tomatoes, red onion, zucchini, fresh spinach, and basil.