This raw version of Pad Thai is made with the addition of tempeh. Tempeh is an excellent source of plant-based protein and is also high in iron, calcium and magnesium. The raw kelp noodles in this recipe are also available in health food stores or online, but if you can’t find any feel free to use regular rice noodles.
Raw Pad Thai With Coconut Chickpea Tempeh [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 red bell pepper julienned finely
- 1 cup of snow peas cut finely on the diagonal
- ½ a green cabbage finely shredded
- ¼ bunch of coriander chopped
- 1/4 bunch of fresh mint chopped
- 1 cucumber finely sliced or spiralized
- 1 packet of kelp noodles
- 1 packet of organic tempeh (chickpea or fava bean if available)
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
- 1 cup of fresh coconut milk
- 1 small chili (without seeds or with seeds depending on taste)
- 1 lime juiced
- 6 large fresh kaffir lime leaves
- 1 ½ tablespoons of coconut nectar
- ¼ cup of tahini
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- ¼ bunch of fresh coriander
- ½ inch piece of ginger
- Combine all of the salad ingredients except for the tempeh in a large bowl and mix well to combine with your hands
- Blend all of the dressing ingredients in a blender on high until smooth and creamy. Taste the dressing and adjust to taste, depending on your ingredients you may need a dash more lime, salt or sweetener.
- Slice the tempeh finely and heat your coconut oil on a small pan over a low heat. Add the tempeh and cook until lightly browned.
- Stir the dressing through salad by hand until thoroughly mixed and arrange evenly on two plates.
- Lay the tempeh slices over the pad thai and scatter with fresh coriander and a squeeze of lime.
- Serve in bowls topped with fresh mint and chopped cashews.
Keep this recipe purely raw by omitting the tempeh.