For as fancy as these look, they couldn't be any easier. One of those recipes which relies solely on the simplicity of the ingredients themselves. It's quite versatile and the ingredients are easily substituted. Start with a base of crispy oven baked eggplant, top with a mound of wilted greens, seared mushroom, fresh tomato, and top with another slice of eggplant. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar if you like, and serve.
Rainbow Eggplant Stacks [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 medium sized eggplant, sliced
- 1 Tbsp potato starch (or corn starch)
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp neutral oil (avocado, canola, grape seed)
- 1 bunch of swiss chard (or spinach, kale, or collard greens), chopped
- 1 large portobello mushroom (or as seen here, 1/2 lb chanterelle mushrooms), sliced
- 1 ripe tomato, sliced
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- drizzle of balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Coat large metal baking tray with 1 Tbsp of oil. Slice eggplant into 1/2" thick slices and place on baking sheet. Use your hands to gently coat them in oil. Sprinkle with potato starch, nutritional yeast, sea salt, and black pepper and toss to coat well. Spread into an even layer on sheet and place in oven. Bake for 10 minutes, flip them over when browning on bottom and bake for another 5 minutes.
- While baking the eggplant, slice the mushroom(s) into 1/4" thick slices and sear in a pan until browning and crispy on both sides, flipping as needed. No oil needed, the juices from the mushrooms will prevent sticking. transfer to a small bowl.
- In the same pan, wilt the greens. Simply place chopped greens in pan, cover, and let cook on medium heat for 2 minutes (slightly longer for kale or collard greens) until bright green and wilted. Add water by the spoonful if needed to prevent sticking or burning. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and set aside.
- When eggplant is lightly browned and soft inside, remove from oven and begin making your stacks. Simply stack eggplant, a mound of greens, a slice of mushroom, a slice of tomato, and sprinkle of sea salt. Top with another eggplant round and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Repeat! Very yummy!