This barbecue vegetable and quinoa bowl makes a perfect weeknight meal. The great thing about this recipe is there are no hard and fast rules. The ingredients are merely suggestions and you can mix up the vegetables and grain based on what you have on hand.
Quick BBQ Vegetable Quinoa Bowl [Vegan]
- 1 16-ounce block firm tofu
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 2 1/4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (more if needed)
- 1/2 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic, coarsely minced
- 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 2 medium summer squash, chopped
- 2 cups packed baby kale, chopped (or other dark leafy green)
- 6 ounces sliced portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- Press tofu for at least 15 minutes to remove excess moisture. You can use a tofu press or simply place it between two plates in your kitchen sink and place something heavy on top.
- Combine 1 cup of quinoa with 2 cups of vegetable broth in a saucepan, cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes then remove from heat and let sit, covered, for at least 5 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, add 1/4 cup of vegetable broth to a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, garlic, and frozen pineapple. Cover and steam sauté by stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes. Add more vegetable broth 1 tablespoon at a time, if needed.
- Reduce heat to medium and add chopped summer squash, baby kale, and portobello mushrooms. Continue to steam sauté for 10-15 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften.
- Slice pressed tofu into 1-inch cubes and stir into vegetables with barbecue sauce.
- Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, for another 5 minutes or until excess moisture cooks off.
- Add cooked quinoa to the vegetables and stir to mix.