A creamy Vegan Pumpkin Puree Sage Risotto is the perfect meal on a rainy day. Easy & Gluten-Free!
Pumpkin Puree Sage Risotto [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 red kuri pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon sage leaves
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 pound rice for risotto (St. Andrea, Arborio...)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Cut the pumpkin into slices, peel it and remove seeds. Cut the flesh into even cubes. Set aside a cup of pumpkin cubes for later, and add the rest of the pumpkin to a pot with simmering salter water. Cook until the pumpkin is fork tender, about 10 minutes. Once the pumpkin is soft and cooked through, drain the water and using a stick blender or food processor, puree the pumpkin until smooth.
- In a large pan or pot, heat a tablespoon of oil and add sage leaves. Fry the sage on both sides until crispy, then remove it from the pan and set on a plate lined with a paper towel to drain. Peel and finely dice onions and garlic. Add diced onions to the same pan and fry until translucent, stirring regularly. Then, add in the diced garlic, risotto rice, the saved pumpkin cubes and season with salt, pepper and turmeric. Add in finely chopped parsley and the pumpkin puree. Stir it well to combine, and pour in the vegetable stock and water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook on low for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is cooked through, but you can still feel the grain under tooth (al dente).
- Once the rice is cooked, remove the pan from heat and let sit with the lid on for another 5 minutes, to let the rice rest and soak up any excess liquids.
- Serve the risotto with some finely chopped parsley and fried sage leaves on top.