This colorful pumpkin pasta is ready in less than half an hour, so it’s great for quick weeknight dinners! Creamy pumpkin combines with tomato and basil to make a bridge between summer and fall flavors. To give the pasta an extra boost of iron and to stick with the pumpkin theme, it's topped off with a sprinkling of pumpkin seeds!
Pumpkin Pasta With Tomatoes and Basil [Vegan]
- 9 ounces whole wheat penne
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cups pumpkin, cut into cubes
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine (I used Chardonnay)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
- About 30 basil leaves, cut into strips
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- Cook the whole wheat penne according to the instructions on the package. Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onion for about one minute. Then add the pumpkin cubes and cook for six minutes. Add the minced garlic and sauté for another minute. Then deglaze with white wine and vegetable broth and allow it to evaporate. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and simmer for two minutes. Then stir in the cooked penne and the basil leaves. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the pasta is heated through. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.
If you’re cooking for kids, just leave out the white wine in the sauce and substitute it with more vegetable broth.