Luscious homemade pumpkin gnocchi blanketed in richly spiced butter sauce and lemon cashew cream—who wouldn't want that for dinner? This amazing dish is so elegant and delicious, your guests are going to be asking for seconds... and thirds!
Pumpkin Gnocchi in Spiced Butter Sauce With Lemon Cashew Cream [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Lemon Cashew Cream:
- 1 cup cashews, raw or roasted
- 3/4 cup water
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Pumpkin Gnocchi:
- 2 tablespoons flax meal, plus 6 tablespoons water
- 2 cups pumpkin purée
- 2 1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
For the Spiced Butter Sauce:
To Make the Lemon Cashew Cream:
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Mix until the cream is thickened and smooth. Set aside.
To Make the Pumpkin Gnocchi:
- In a cup, combine the flax meal and water. Mix into a loose paste. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, flour, potato starch, salt, flax gel, and nutritional yeast. Mix until it forms a dough. Use your hands to mix the dough until all the ingredients are incorporated. The dough should stick to your fingers, but not to the bowl.
- Dust some flour on a flat surface. Divide the dough into sections and roll the sections into balls. Then, roll each ball into a long tube, about 3/4-inch in diameter. Press the tines of a fork into the tube to form indentations in the dough.
- Cut the tubes into gnocchi pieces.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Gently place the gnocchi into the water and cook for about two minutes. They will float to the top when ready. Remove from the water and drain.
To Make the Spiced Butter Sauce:
- In a large saucepan or skillet, melt the butter and olive oil. Add the spices. Add the gnocchi to the pan and coat with the butter sauce. Serve while hot over the lemon cashew cream. Top with grated vegan Parmesan, if desired.