What’s fab about danishes, is that they sound fancy and involved, but with the help of a ready made pastry dough it’s so easy breezy you could make it while hopping on one foot, instagramming, or while doing your taxes. If you love effortless eats and all things pumpkin, then this vegan pumpkin cream cheese is for you!
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Danish [Vegan]
For the Dough:
- Frozen vegan pastry dough
For the Cream Cheese Filling:
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese, cold
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegan egg powder combined with 1/3 cup almond milk
For the Pumpkin Filling:
- 3/4 cup pumpkin purée
- 4 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
For the Icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 tablespoon almond milk
- Candied pecans
- Let the pastry dough thaw out.
- Make the filling in a medium bowl of a standing mixer (or by hand if soft) by beating the vegan cream cheese, powered sugar, and almond extract on medium speed until smooth. Place back in refrigerator to set. If consistency remains runny, you can sift in corn starch to thicken, place back in refrigerator. If still runny you can combine w/firm tofu in a food processor.
- To make the pumpkin filling, combine all the ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Open thawed puff pastry sheets on a flat working that has been sprinkled lightly with flour surface. Roll dough to make the square even. You aren't rolling to hard though, just lightly enough that you can get all the sides even. The dough will still look like a trifold with creases.
- With kitchen scissors, or a pizza cutter, make 9 even slits on both sides of the puff pastry, leaving the middle third of the 'trifold' untouched. Be careful not to go past the fold lines.
- Add the vegan cream cheese filling and carefully spread down the center of the pastry sheet. Next, carefully spoon some of the pumpkin filling over the vegan cream cheese layer. Repeat for both layers.
- Starting at the top of the pasty, fold the flaps diagonally and alternately over the pumpkin layer. When you get to the end, tuck the ends under the pastry sheet. Place on cookie sheet line with parchment.
- Bake at 375°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes.
- As the pastry is baking, prepare the glaze by whisking all of the ingredients together. After 10 minutes of cooling, drizzle the braids lightly with glaze, top with candied pecans, and serve immediately.