These burgers are soft and sweet with an occasional piquant sour crisp. Perfect for a light dinner with a salad on the side, and delicious as a vegan burger in between whole-grain bread.
Pumpkin Burgers [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cup pumpkin flesh
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 3 - 4 mushrooms
- 1/2 bell-pepper
- 4 - 6 slices sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 - 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1 tbsp semolina (can be replaced with rice flour)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dried herbs (thyme or marjoram are perfect)
- Grate the pumpkin using a fine rasp. Place it in a deep bowl, add salt and stirr well. Set aside for a couple of minutes.
- Chop the onion, bell-pepper and mushrooms and stir-fry them briefly until soft. Next, blend them in a blender or a food processor till puree consistency.
- Chop the sun-dried tomatoes.
- Mix the grated pumpkin, vegetable puree and tomatoes together.
- Add the chickpea flour, semolina and hemp seeds and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste and herbs (optional). Allow the mixture to cool for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Heat the oil in a deep skillet. Using two tablespoons, form the burgers and bake them over medium heat on both sides until golden brown.