Can't find jackfruit in your area? Luckily, carrots make a fantastic substitute and in this sandwich, they really shine. Carrots are shredded and then roasted to soften them up, tossed in a spicy and sweet barbecue sauce, then stacked with crisp slaw between two buns. It's sweet, savory, effortless, has multiple textures, and is just an all-around game changer!
Pulled Carrot Sliders With Peach Barbecue Sauce [Vegan]
For the Sliders:
- 5 large carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 large red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil
- Black pepper
- Sea salt
- 4 slider buns
For the Barbecue Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion (or any other onion)
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 4 chipotle chilis in adobo, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3-4 yellow peaches, the riper the better, diced (about 1 1/2-2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
For the Slaw:
- 1 1/2 cups shredded white cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 4 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 squeeze of lime
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking pan with parchment paper. If you don’t have parchment paper, you can line it with lightly oiled aluminum foil or lightly grease the bottom of the pan to avoid sticking.
- Shred the carrots with the shredder attachment of your food processor or with a box or hand-held grater.
- Thinly slice the onion.
- Place carrots and onion in the baking pan and drizzle the olive oil over them. Toss well to coat and then spread them evenly in the pan. Grate freshly ground pepper evenly over the top.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and roast for thirty minutes. Shake the pan every ten minutes to ensure that they’re evenly roasted. The carrots and onions should be nice and soft and lightly caramelized.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, sauté until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, chilis in adobo sauce, apple cider vinegar, chopped peaches, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, brown sugar, and liquid smoke. Whisk together. Once bubbling, stir in the water, salt, and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and cool before transferring to a glass jar. Store in the refrigerator.
- Add the roasted carrots and onions to the sauce and stir well to coat. Simmer for 15 minutes. To make the slaw throw all the ingredients in a bowl and combine. Top with grilled peaches, red onion, and slaw.