The ante has completely been upped, not only with this unbelievably tasty NO GRAIN, NO YEAST pretzel stick recipe (I can’t even describe how freaking awesome they are; truly a proud moment!), but with these snowmen made from said recipe. Oh man, I could just melt over them. I had one of those moments where I was yelling at them while photographing them, “CAN YOU BE ANY CUTER?!” They looked blankly back at me as if to say, “No, Cara, we cannot.” Well-played adorable Pretzel Stick Snowmen. Well-played.
Pretzel Stick Snowmen [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Pretzel Sticks:
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/4 c coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
For the Boiling Water:
- 4 cup boiling water
- 3 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon sweetener (like brown sugar)
- Coarse sea salt
For the Snowmen:
To Make the Pretzels:
- Whisk together the first five ingredients together until well-combined. Add the water and vinegar and mix in until a nice dough has formed. Dough should not be sticky or dried out. If you notice your dough is looking too dry, add a tablespoon of hot water at a time until smooth. If you notice your dough is too sticky, add a tablespoon of almond meal until no longer.
- Roll into a dough ball. Begin dividing the ball in half and then divide each of those balls in half. Keep doing so until you have 16 dough balls of even size.
- Take one dough ball between the palms of your hands and roll. Transfer to a piece of wax paper on the counter and keep rolling with your palm until a long string is formed (approximately 5-inch long and a little larger than 1/2-inch in diameter). Repeat with each dough ball.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bring the water and sweetener to a boil in a large saucepan. Once it is rapidly boiling, slowly add the baking soda (it will begin to “explode” with bubbles but it won’t go over the top if you go slowly and use a large enough saucepan). Reduce the boiling to medium heat where the boil is slight. You do not want bubbles to cloud the water.
- Add one pretzel stick at a time, using a large enough spatula to support it. It will take less than 10 seconds to pop back to the top and once that happens, wait another 5 seconds. Remove gently with the spatula and place on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with coarse salt. Repeat with the remainder.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Turn each pretzel stick over and bake another 10-12 minutes or until nicely browned and firm. Allow to set on the baking sheet and crisp up.
To Make the Snowmen:
- Melt the white chocolate until smooth. Dip 3/4 for the pretzel stick into the white chocolate until well-coated. Cover with shredded coconut. Set on a piece of wax paper.
- Using a toothpick, dip into the melted white chocolate and “glue” the mini chocolate chips for the eyes and buttons, as well as shredded carrot triangle. Allow to set.
- Wrap 8 inches of baker’s twine around the “neck” of the snowman. Top with Santa hat.