A vegan take on the traditional cheesesteak: meaty to the tooth, the savory sautéed mushrooms mix with peppers and onions in a toasted roll to create a delicious sub. Top it with loads of cheese for melty goodness.
Portobello Cheesesteak [Vegan]
- 1 pound portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 sandwich rolls
- 2 cups vegan mozzarella shreds
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Slice portobello mushrooms into 1/4-inch slices. In a large bowl, toss mushrooms with 1 tablespoon oil, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper.
- In a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat, sauté mushrooms until tender. Remove from pan.
- Add remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan and sauté peppers and onions until onions are golden and peppers are tender, about 8 minutes. Add mushrooms back to the pan and stir.
- Spoon mushrooms and peppers into sandwich rolls; place 1/2 cup vegan cheese on each. Place sandwiches under broiler and cook until cheese is melted and bread is toasted, about 4–5 minutes.