These Portobello burgers is all that and a bag of chips because it offers multiple textures and flavors of sweet, savory, smoky, and salty ... all the good stuff. While fruit may not be the first thing we think of when it comes to burger toppings, the grilled pears combined with the caramelized onions adds an autumnal touch that can't be beat. This burger is sure to leave you longing for another bite!
Portobello Burger With Caramelized Onions and Pear [Vegan]
For the Portobello Marinade:
- 4 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Shiitake Bacon:
- 1 8-ounce package of Shiitake, sliced
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
For the Burgers:
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 Portobello mushroom caps
- 1 pear
- 2 vegan cheese slices
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/2 avocado
- 4 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 hamburger buns
To Make the Shiitake Bacon:
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Before you begin to cook the Shiitake bacon, combine marinade ingredients for the Portobellos in a bowl. Trim and rinse the Portobello mushrooms and place in a container to marinate for 45 minutes or longer to enhance the flavor
- Slice the mushrooms, coat in all the ingredients, place on a baking sheet, and bake for 30 minutes. Rotate the mushrooms in between midway for an even cook. Mushrooms should be crispy, not hard.Place sliced onions in a pan with a drizzle of olive oil. Cook until clear, about 5-7 minute.
- Add the coconut sugar, red wine, and balsamic vinegar. Over medium-high heat, and bring to a gentle boil. Continue to boil until the mixture is reduced to about 1/2 cup. This will take 25-35 minutes. Once reduced, remove from heat and allow to cool. Add thyme.
To Make the Caramelized Onions:
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan over medium heat and add the onions. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are a golden caramel color and very sweet. This will take 25-30 minutes.
- If the onions start to burn, you can turn down the heat a little bit and/or add a sprinkling of water to the pan. Once onions are caramelized, remove from heat and set aside.
To Make the Portobellos:
- Throw on a griddle over medium to high heat faced upwards and topped with additional marinade in the middle. Cook for 5-7 minutes on each side. Set aside. Now, add the pears and cook on each side for 3 minutes. Set aside.
- To assemble the burger top with caramelized onion mixture, Portobello mushroom, grilled pears, avocado, arugula, Shiitake bacon, mayonnaise, and serve.