Baked goods with poppy seeds are wildly popular in Germany and Austria, but a good Mohnkuchen (poppy cake) is very hard to find anywhere outside the European borders. This poppy and prune cake is inspired by those beautiful desserts – it's chocolatey, fruity, moist, and a little nutty. Cover the cake in an elegant chocolate ganache frosting and you have a spectacular dessert on your hands!
Poppy and Prune Cake ('Mohnkuchen') [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup poppy seeds, ground
- Scant 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds mixed with 3 teaspoons water, soaked for five minutes
- Scant 3/4 cup prunes, pitted
- Scant 3/4 cup walnuts
- 3 tablespoons sprouted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla paste
- 5 tablespoons rum
- 4 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cardamon
- 5 tablespoons raisins
- Your favorite chocolate frosting recipe, to coat
- Grind poppy seeds in a high-speed food processor until they become a fine paste. Add almond milk, vanilla essence, raisins, rum, molasses, spices and let set in fridge overnight.
- Preheat oven to 356°F.
- Fold the pre-soaked chia eggs into poppy seed mixture.
- Grind walnuts and pitted prunes in a mixer and add to poppy/egg dough.
- Mix together flour and baking powder and fold into remaining ingredients.
- Bake in a greased baking dish for 30-40 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
- Let cool and coat with chocolate frosting.