These sweet and nutty treats have no artificial color, it's the healthy and natural matcha powder that makes the beautiful green color. The texture is made to feel like a snowball, but the taste is nothing like it at all.
Pistachio and Matcha Snowballs [Vegan]
- 3.5 ounces sugar
- 4 teaspoons lime zest (around 4 small limes)
- 4.5 ounces almond flour
- 2 ounces oat flour
- 1 ounces tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon matcha powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3.5 ounces unsalted pistachios, finely chopped
- 4 ounces vegan unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- Matcha powder for dusting
- In a small bowl mix the sugar and lime zest. Let it rest for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a medium bowl mix together the almond flour, oat flour, tapioca starch, matcha, salt and pistachios.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the sugar with the lime zest and mix to dissolve any clumps. Add the flour mixture and beat to incorporate. At slow speed sprinkle the butter cubes, mix until the dough comes together. Scrape the sides of the bowl if necessary.
- Sift the confectioners’ sugar into a bowl.
- Roll a tablespoon of dough between the palms of your hands, coat with confectioners’ sugar. Place on the prepared baking sheets, 1 inch apart as these cookies will only spread a little bit. Bake until puffed, cracked and the sides are slightly golden, 20 to 25 minutes. The cookies will be soft at the beginning, but when cool they will become crisp.
- Carefully transfer the cookies to a wire rack and allow to cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Coat again with confectioners’ sugar and sprinkle with some matcha powder.