This take on traditional lasagna is satisfying and exceptionally healthy. Make this for a dinner party, a date night, or your next potluck.
Vegan Pesto Lasagna
This Recipe is :
- 9 pasta sheets ready to use (as in, no need to pre-cook them)
- 4 tbsp vegan pesto + 1 tbsp
- 200ml soy cream
- 100g (3.5 oz.) spinach (or half a pack)
- 100g (3.5 oz.) frozen peas
- 1 can green lentils
- 100g (3.5 oz.)chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- nutritional yeast to top (optional)
- béchamel sauce (see below)
- 1 + 1/2 tbsp vegan margarine
- 1 + 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 375ml soy milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 392ºF/ 200ºC.
- In a small bowl whisk together 4 tbsp pesto with the soy cream. Set aside.
- Layer 1: 3 pasta sheets on the bottom of a large greased ovenproof dish. Spread the peas and lentils evenly over the sheets.
- Layer 2: Another 3 sheets topped with spinach and pesto cream. Make sure the cream covers the spinach well.
- Layer 3: The last three pasta sheets. Spread the remaining tbsp of pesto evenly over the sheets in a thin layer, then cover generously with the béchamel. Make sure the corners of the pasta sheets are imbibed with the sauce, otherwise they will burn in the oven. Sprinkle some nutritional yeast over the whole if you wish.
- Bake in the oven for 20 mins.
- First create a roux: in a small saucepan over medium heat melt the vegan margarine and stir in the flour. When it turns slightly golden brown, you’ve got a “roux”.
- Slowly pour in the soya milk as you keep stirring, firmly and without splashing, then keep stirring on slightly higher heat until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Add the garlic. It will take around 12-15 minutes for the sauce to thicken but if it becomes too much like a pudding, take it off the heat and add a little bit more soya milk.