I decided the perfect vegan chocolate chip cookie had to be just like Mom's was- chewy, soft, not too sweet, and with a hint of crunch along the edges. These cookies match that. I've fooled plenty of people into thinking they're just plain ol' chocolate chippers...and they are, only considerably healthier!
Perfect 'Tollhouse' Cookies
This Recipe is :
Serves22 - 24 cookies
- 1 cup vegetable shortening, straight from the fridge if available
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Using a stand mixer, cream together butter, vanilla, sugar, and brown sugar.
- Add applesauce to mixture and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together salt, baking soda, baking powder, and flour.
- Add dry ingredient mixture to wet ingredients about 1/2 cup at a time, mixing all the while.
- Once dough reaches a uniform consistency, remove from stand mixer and fold in 1/2 cup (or more to your liking!) chocolate chips.
- Roll 1 inch balls or drop spoonfuls of cookie dough onto greased or lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes.
Edges should be golden and chocolate should be gooey.