Are you the kind of person who has to try every single type of pie at the Thanksgiving table? Consider adding these mini pecan pies to your selection: they're perfect for tasting because, well, they're mini! Instead of the traditional corn syrup and brown sugar that goes into the sugary-sweet filling, a mixture of coconut oil and pecan butter is used instead, for a healthier alternative that tastes every bit as decadent as the original.
Perfect Mini Pecan Pies [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose gluten free flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or maple sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup coconut oil in its solid state
- About 6-7 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cups soft pitted Medjool dates (if they are not soft, soak them in filtered water for 30 minutes and drain well before using)
- 1/2 cup pecan butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter or oil
- 1 1/2 cups toasted pecans, plus more for pie tops
To Make the Crust:
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, and sea salt. Cut in coconut oil with a pastry blender or two knives until it is in pea sized pieces. Mix in just enough water to create a smooth dough that holds together but isn’t too sticky. Add more water if needed, and knead slightly until a smooth dough is created.
- Roll out into a rectangle using floured parchment underneath and floured rolling pin. Cut into 16 circles.
- Oil a muffin pan well with coconut oil and fit the circles into the holes. Shape the edges that stick out if desired (I fluted mine).
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
To Make the Filling:
- Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender or food processor except the pecans. Process until smooth, then scrape into a bowl and stir in the pecans.
- Spoon the filling into the crusts in the pie tin, and top with more pecans to make the tops look pretty.
- Place in the oven. Bake for about 30 minutes until the crusts are starting to brown lightly. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack until warm.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS