These hand pies are wicked good. Sweet yellow mangoes and smooth peaches come together beautifully within a flaky, crunchy crust. All that you need to top it off is a scoop of non-dairy ice cream!
Peach Mango Hand Pies [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
For the Dough:
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/8 cup organic sugar
- A pinch of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons vegan non-hydrogenated shortening
- 5-6 tablespoons of water
For the Filling:
- 1 cup ripe yellow mango, chopped
- 1 cup ripe yellow peaches, sliced
- 1/8 cup organic sugar
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 cup water
To Make the Dough:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the shortening and using a pastry blender, cut the shortening and mix it into the flour. You could also use two table knives. With each hand holding a knife, cut the shortening in a criss cross motion. You may also pulse the mixture using a food processor, pulsing every 10-15 seconds until the shortening has been cut into small crumbs and mixed in with the flour.
- Add one tablespoon of water to one area of the mixture and mix that area using your hand. Keep adding one tablespoon of water at a time around different areas of the mixture and stop once you have formed everything into a soft dough.
- Flatten and form the dough into a disk then wrap the whole thing with a plastic wrap.
- Put the dough in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
To Make the Filling:
- Heat a medium pan over medium heat. Add everything except for the flour.
- Mix well and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the flour and let it cook for another minute.
- Turn off the heat and set aside to completely cool down.
- Take out the dough from the freezer and divide it into 4 parts.
- Grab one part and using a rolling pin, roll to flatten and expand the dough with just enough space to add the filling and cover it.
- Add two tablespoons of filling on the bottom half of the dough leaving a little bit of space on its sides.
- Fold down the upper half of the dough to cover the filling and gently pat down the sides to carefully seal the pie.
- Cut out the excess dough to clean up the look. Using a fork, gently press down the edges of the pie and set aside.
- Repeat process for the remaining dough. Put the prepared pies to the freezer while preparing the stove (or oven if you’d like to bake).
- Heat a wok or pan over medium heat then pour about two inches of cooking oil.
- Test if the oil is hot enough by dropping a piece of dough. If it quickly bubbles, it’s ready.
- Gently drop the dough to the oil and fry for a minute or two or until you see the edges have turned golden brown.
- Flip to cook the other side until golden brown.
- Transfer the pies to a cooling rack or a plate covered in paper towel.
- Let it cool for 2-3 minutes and serve.
- Bake in a pre-heated 400°F oven for 20 minutes.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS