Sometimes you just need a dish that will appeal to meat lovers and vegans alike! This is a great recipe for exactly that. It's rich, hearty, warm, wholesome and will please people from all walks of life! It's still vegan and gluten-free, but it's up to you whether you mention that because it's so yummy no one would know it's so good for you too!
Pasta With Tempeh Bolognese [Vegan]
- 1 block of good quality organic tempeh
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 cup of chopped mushrooms
- 3.5 ounces red wine
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Brags liquid aminos
- 1 teaspoon of raw sugar
- 1 packet of gluten free pasta of your choice
- Heat the olive oil in a large fry pan and add the onion. Sauté until the onion is transparent and then add the crumbled tempeh and mushrooms. Cook these for a couple of minutes until golden brown.
- Add the red wine, oregano, tomatoes, stock, lemon, brags and sugar and allow the sauce to come to a very gentle boil and then simmer for 10-15 minutes until you have a rich, thick, aromatic sauce.
- While this simmers, cook your pasta in boiling water with a dash of salt and oil and then strain well.
- Serve the pasta topped with the tempeh sauce and fresh basil. If you like, you can add a dash of nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor too.