Cumin, coriander, sea salt, and red pepper flakes create a robust flavor, which is then brightened with a splash of lemon juice. Savory lentils and artichokes bring their own unique flavors and textures, making this hearty dish the perfect dinner.
Pasta With Lentils and Artichoke Hearts [Vegan]
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups water
- A few drizzles of olive oil
- 2 cups onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 cups diced canned tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups quartered artichoke hearts
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 2/3 pounds of pasta
- Boil the water in a saucepan, add lentils, and bay leaf. Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and saute until golden, around 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin, and coriander, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add lemon juice, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, vegetable broth, and crushed red pepper flakes, and then simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Drain lentils and add to the tomato/artichoke mixture and simmer for 10 minutes adding sea salt and pepper as needed.
- While sauce is simmering, cook pasta according to directions.
- When pasta is al dente, drain and transfer to a serving bowl. Top with lentil and artichoke sauce and more sea salt and pepper, if desired.