Feel like having Indian food for dinner? Try this recipe for palak chole! It's a spicy, comforting spinach and chickpea curry that's full of vibrant flavor. So yum!
Palak Chole: Indian Spinach and Chickpea Curry [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 large onion
- 1/2 green chili
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1-inch piece of ginger
- 4 tablespoons oil (coconut or any neutral-tasting oil)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- A pinch of cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cup spinach
- 2 15-ounce cans of chickpeas
- 2 cups of water
- Blend the onion, chili, garlic, and ginger in a food processor until a paste is formed.
- Fry the cumin seeds, cardamom pods, and bay leaf in a pan for 1-2 minutes in a large saucepan.
- Add the paste and fry it until golden brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and spice powders and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook until it has wilted down.
- Rinse the chickpeas in cold water, then add them with the water.
- Let everything simmer for 30 minutes to one hour.
- Season to taste with salt, and serve with rice.
- A squeeze of lemon over the plate before you eat is great over any curry or dal!