This Po' Boy is sure to hit the spot for even the most critical of eaters. Tender, meaty oyster mushrooms make the perfect substitution for this classic dish.
Oyster Mushroom Po’ Boy [Vegan]
For the Fried Oyster Mushrooms:
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 cup unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegan oyster sauce or vegan Worcestershire
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground white or black pepper
- 8-ounces oyster mushrooms (16 to 20 pieces)
- 4 to 6 cups vegetable oil, for frying
For the Breading:
- 1/2 cup panko-style bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
For the Thousand Island:
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sweet green relish
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (chile paste) or hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
For the Sandwiches:
- 4 hoagie or kaiser-style rolls
- Thousand Island dressing
- 2 and 1/2 cup finely chopped romaine lettuce
- 3 vine tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 dill pickles, sliced into rounds
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- To prepare the mushrooms, mix together the ground flax and water in a bowl and let sit for 10 minutes to thicken.
- In another bowl, mix together the nondairy milk, vinegar, oyster sauce, garlic powder, basil, and pepper. Add the flax mixture and pour the marinade over the mushrooms in a large zipper bag, making sure they are well submerged. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes. Or you can leave it overnight.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pot to a temperature of 365°F to 375°F on a deep-frying thermometer. The oil should be heated to the right temperature just as you’re about to bread the mushrooms.
- To make the breading, mix together all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Remove a few mushrooms from the marinade and place directly in the breading, coating evenly on all sides using your hands. Place each piece in the hot oil and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place fried mushrooms on paper towels to absorb excess oil. Continue to bread the mushrooms and fry in small batches.
- To assemble the sandwiches, cut the rolls in half and toast, if desired. Spread some Thousand Island on the inside of each roll. Layer the romaine lettuce, tomato slices, pickles, and fried mushrooms on one half of each roll. Add more of Thousand Island, if desired. Serve immediately while the oyster mushrooms are still warm.
- Reheat leftover fried mushrooms in a 425°F oven for 10 to 12 minutes until crispy.