This is a lovely salad for fall and winter when there aren't many veggies about, but your body is craving something fresh and nourishing. It's simple to make but special enough where you could bring it to a holiday party – it would definitely be a hit!
Orange Maple Butternut Squash and Tofu Salad [Vegan]
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled and cut into small cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 box of firm tofu, cut into cubes
- 1/2 of a red onion, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- A few shakes of red pepper flakes
- A few turns of black pepper
- Juice of two oranges (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon 100 percent pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup of quinoa
- 4 cups of kale, chopped
- Toasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Add the squash, tofu, red onion, parsley, red pepper flakes and black pepper to a large mixing bowl.
- Make the marinade by adding all of the marinade ingredients to the blender and blending until totally smooth, about a minute (orange juice, water, maple syrup, mustard, garlic, sesame seeds and salt).
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the marinade and set it aside. Pour the remaining marinade over the squash/tofu mixture and gently stir until everything is coated.
- Place this mixture on a parchment covered baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes.
- While that goodness is baking, cook the quinoa by placing 1/2 cup of quinoa and 1 cup of water in a small pot, bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to just a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes until the water is evaporated and the quinoa is soft.
- Place the kale in a large mixing bowl, add the 1/2 cup reserved marinade, and massage with your hands until the kale is limp and the marinade is fully incorporated.
- Add the warm quinoa and the baked butternut squash mixture to the kale and gently stir until everything is mixed together.
- Serve warm or cold and top with toasted pecans when serving.