Chocolate and orange can't be beat! It's especially scrumptious here, in this spiced orange cake topped with a thick chocolate ganache frosting. The cake is studded with juicy dried cranberries, and it just so happens to be totally gluten-free, too!
Orange Cake With Chocolate Ganache [Vegan]
- 1 3/4 cup almonds (or almond flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Scant 1/2 cup agave
- Scant 1/2 cup canola or coconut oil
- 1 orange
- 2 chia eggs (2 tablespoons chia seeds mixed with 6 tablespoons water and soaked until thick)
- 1 cup dried cranberries (roughly chopped)
- 5 ounces dark chocolate
- Scant 1/2 cup coconut cream
- Preheat the oven to 347°F.
- Ground the almonds into flour. If using pre-made almond flour, skip this step.
- Combine almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom, and salt into a bowl.
- Combine agave and oil in a saucepan on low heat.
- Grate the zest and squeeze the juice from the orange into the saucepan.
- Stir the agave mix into the dry ingredients.
- Gently fold the chia eggs into the batter together with the dried cranberries.
- Pour the batter into a greased 8-inch springform pan and bake for 40 minutes or until a knife comes out clean (cover the cake with tinfoil in the last 15 minutes if it looks burnt).
- Let the cake cool down for at least 30 minutes before you remove it from the springform.
- Place the chocolate and coconut cream in a heat-proof bowl set atop a pot of boiling water. Stir until melted and well-combined. Let the ganache cool down for 30 minutes before you apply it to the cake.