Sweetened with dates, this orange almond cake is moist, flavorful, and light. Chia eggs are used instead of regular ones, to hold the cake together and keep the texture rich. Enjoy this cake on its own or with a dollop of your favorite dairy-free whipped cream.
Orange Almond Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 organic oranges, washed
- 1 cup dates, pitted
- 6 chia eggs (1 teaspoon ground chia seeds, plus 3 teaspoons water per "egg")
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Wash the oranges and cook in boiling water for 2 hours. Drain, allow to cool to room temperature, then purée.
- In a food processor, mix the almond meal, dates, oranges, chia eggs, and baking powder, and mix until you have a smooth dough.
- Preheat the oven to 320°F. Grease and line a spring-form cake tin with baking paper.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.