Focaccia is a flat oven baked Italian bread. Usually served as an appetizer, snack or great for soup-dipping. Like a homemade pizza, you can top your focaccia with all your favorite toppings. The mix of salty olives with sweet and juicy cherry tomatoes and of course a lot of fresh rosemary is the perfect, traditional Italian combination!
Olive and Tomato Focaccia Bread [Vegan]
- 8 3/4-ounces all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 3/4 cups luke warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Olive oil (to top)
- Cherry tomatoes
- Mixed olives
- Fresh herbs (such as rosemary, basil, etc.)
- Corse sea salt
- In a large bowl, combine the warm water, yeast and sugar. Stir a few times then let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add all flour, salt, and olive oil. Stir until a dough comes together.
- Once the dough comes together, transfer to a floured surface and knead the dough until smooth, usually it takes about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large oiled bowl, cover with a warm, damp towel, and let rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Transfer the dough onto the baking sheet (well floured or lined with parchment paper) then gently stretch and press it down into the baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 355°F.
- Let the dough (covered) rise again for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Use your fingers to dimple the dough then drizzle with olive oil.
- Add all your toppings, slightly press them into the dough. Sprinkle with course sea salt more olive oil and then bake until golden brown, 25 to 35 minutes.
- Cool baked focaccia bread on a wire rack.