Any day is a good day to treat yourself, your loved one, or your friends — so why not start with this tasty chocolate mug cake? This one takes just 5 minutes to make, it's oil-free, and low in sugar but it tastes so indulgent, especially with the optional sugar-free frosting on top! Make one for you and one for your sweetheart this Valentine's Day and enjoy your guilt-free chocolatey sweet treat!
Oil-Free Chocolate Mug Cake [Vegan]
For the Cake:
- 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons powdered erythritol, or other powdered sweetener of choice
- 1 tablespoon granulated erythritol, or other granulated sweetener of choice
- 1 dash salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons applesauce, unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid stevia
- 1/4 teaspoon natural butter flavor
- 1/8 teaspoon white vinegar
- Oil-free chocolate frosting, for topping (optional)
- Vegan sprinkles, for topping (optional)
For the Frosting:
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, plus 4 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup powdered erythritol or other powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon liquid stevia
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon natural butter flavor
- 3 dashes salt
- 5.6 ounces extra firm tofu
To Make the Cake:
- Spray microwave-safe mug or ramekin with non-stick cooking spray, and set aside.
- Combine all dry ingredients in medium mixing bowl, and whisk with a fork until well-combined.
- Add in wet ingredients, and stir.
- Pour batter into prepared mug or ramekin, and microwave on 50 percent power for 2 1/2 minutes or until top of cake is
- slightly firm to the touch.
- Let cool, frost and add sprinkles if desired, and serve.
To Make the Frosting:
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch with 4 tablespoons water and mix.
- Combine all other ingredients (except tofu) in saucepan, and whisk to combine. Add in cornstarch mixture last.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and allow to thicken for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Remove mixture from heat, add to blender with tofu, and blend until smooth.
- Pour back into saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, and allow to thicken to desired consistency. Stir occasionally.
- It should take about 10 minutes. It will thicken a bit more as it cools.