I love lasagna. It’s perfect for entertaining, a cool fall day, the picky eater, the casserole lover and the comfort food connoisseur. The ingredients that make this lasagna perfect are red pepper flakes, fresh oregano, and cumin. These ingredients make the perfect zing, like a gorgeous pop of color for the tongue. You have to try it!
9 Vegetable Lasagna [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Lasagna:
- 1 package of lasagna noodles (gluten-free if necessary)
- 2 24-ounce jars of arrabbiata tomato sauce or regular tomato sauce
- 3 packages of vegan cheese shreds
For the Vegetables:
- 1/4 onion
- 1/4 cup broccoli
- 1/4 cup carrots
- 1/4 cup cauliflower
- 1/2 cup zucchini
- 1/2 sweet potato
- 1/2 cup spinach leaves (add after the rest are steamed)
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
For the Tofu Ricotta:
- 1 16-ounce block firm sprouted tofu
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 elephant garlic clove
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Steam the onion, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, zucchini, and sweet potato until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the spinach leaves and finish steaming until just wilted, about 3 minutes.
- While the vegetables are steaming, pour 1 jar of tomato sauce into a large bowl.
- Purée the ricotta ingredients and add to the tomato sauce.
- Purée the steamed vegetables and add to the tomato sauce. You should now have the ricotta, tomato sauce, and the steamed vegetables all stirred together.
- Add a thin layer of tomato sauce on the bottom of your pan.
- Layer the lasagna noodles so they are overlapping a 1/2-inch for each noodle.
- Spread a layer of cheese on top of each noodle. Spread a layer of sauce. Repeat until all of your ingredients are gone.
- Top with cheese and half of the second jar of sauce, put foil on the top of the casserole, and put it in the oven.
- After 30 minutes, reduce the cooking temperature to 350°F.
- Cook an additional half an hour up to a full hour, then let it rest for 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with leftover sauce.