Need a super-cute dessert to delight your guests (or just yourself)? Make these narwhal doughnuts! Simple vanilla cake doughnuts are decorated with colorful icing and sprinkles, and, of course, the iconic sea unicorn horn! You'll want to grab plenty of snapshots of these cuties before serving them.
Narwhal Cake Doughnuts [Vegan]
For the Doughnuts:
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (or substitute any vegetable oil)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup vanilla soymilk (or substitute any non-dairy milk)
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Vegan egg replacer for two eggs
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
For the Icing:
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 ounce non-dairy milk (can sub water or juice)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 pinches of sea salt
- Blue and pink vegan food coloring
For the Decoration:
- 9 sugar cones, for the horn
- 18 round candies or sprinkles (or 9 round and 18 long sprinkles if you want them to wink at you), for the face
- 9 curved pink, red, or white sprinkles (you can substitute any mouth-shaped edible decoration), for the mouth
To Make the Doughnuts:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix the wet ingredients in a saucepan over low-med heat until the butter melts and sugar dissolves (the wet ingredients are the first 6 in the list).
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a bowl (2 cups flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg).
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients together just until incorporated (until you no longer see any dry spots).
- Press the batter into nine ungreased doughnut-shaped moulds.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (or until you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean).
- Remove from oven and place pans on cooling racks.
- Remove doughnuts from the pans using a flexible silicone spatula, by shimmying the spatula down the sides of the down so far that it curls all the way underneath each doughnut (start this step only when completely cooled).
To Make the Icing:
- Whisk the ingredients using a stand mixer.
- Divide the icing into two wide shallow bowls with 1/4 of the icing in 1 bowl and the rest in another. Add blue vegan food coloring to the larger amount. Add pink vegan food coloring to the smaller amount.
- Cut (or eat) the wide part off of nine sugar cones.
- Choose your facial features, and separate out nine sets of them so they’re ready to place.
- Dip three doughnut tops into the blue icing and set on a cooling rack or parchment paper. Choose the doughnut that you iced first to decorate. You want the icing to stop dripping before you start decorating, but you also want the icing to still be wet, so work quickly.
- Place the mouth and eyes.
- Ice the edge of a sugar cone horn and press lightly until it stays.
- Pipe the border of the pink icing on part of the top of each doughnut and fill it in. Set aside to harden.