Who doesn’t love bite-sized parcels of goodness? These dumplings, filled with tender mushroom and chard, are the perfect starter. Serve these with rice and shoyu for dipping.
Mushroom and Chard Dumplings [Vegan]
- Sesame oil
- 5 1/4 cups brown mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 large or two small bunches of chard
- 3-4 spring onions, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- A small knob of fresh ginger, minced
- Fresh chilli, chopped, to taste
- 4 tablespoons of sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons of tamari
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- A pinch of salt
- Vegan dumpling wrappers
To Make the Filling:
- Place a large pot on a low heat and cover the bottom with a little sesame oil. You really don’t need much, as the mushrooms and green will release liquid into the pot as they cook, preventing the ingredients from sticking
- Chop mushrooms into tiny pieces, adding to the pot as you go.
- Remove the stalks from the chard and finely chop this and add it to the pot with the mushrooms. The mushrooms and chard together will look like a lot at first, but will shrink to a fraction of the size as they cook.
- Finely chop the spring onions, garlic, ginger, and chili, again, adding as you go. The pot should now be filled with a brown liquid from the mushrooms and leafy greens.
- Add tamari, maple, sesame seeds, and salt.
- Increase heat to medium and stir frequently until all ingredients are well cooked and some of the liquid has evaporated off
To Make the Dumplings:
- Wet the edges of a dumpling wrapper with your fingers. Cut the dumpling wrapper in half with your eyes, and place a teaspoon of filling on one half.
- Fold the uncovered half over the covered half, and squeeze the wrapper together with wet fingers to stick. You can keep them in a half circle shape, or make cute little guys like the ones pictured below. To do this, keeping the folded edge in the middle, pull the corners towards each other and squeeze to stick together (you may need some extra water for this).
- Make sure uncooked dumplings are not touching or they may stick together
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS