Mulligatawny is an English soup named after an Indian recipe. The original name actually translates to "pepper-water," which makes sense since hot curry powder adds a bold and spicy flavor to it! This dish is warm, comforting, and offers the palette a complexity of flavors considering in addition to the spice, it also has sweet apples and sour lemon.
Mulligatawny Soup [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 2 cups celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (optional)
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1/4 cup mild curry powder
- 2 tablespoons hot curry powder
- 1 whole green cardamom pod
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas with the brine
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups granny smith apples, peeled and diced
- Lemon (for serving)
- In a stockpot, add the oil and onion, and sauté until translucent.
- Add the celery, carrots, garlic, and ginger, and sauté until soft.
- Add the curry powders and cardamom, and stir for 20 seconds to sweat lightly, then add the lentils, chickpeas, and broth.
- Bring to a boil, turn down to medium heat, and partially cover the pot for 30 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of peeled and diced apples and cook until soft.
- Serve with lemon (don’t skip this step!!)
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS