Keep chilly weather at bay with this comforting soup! In this recipe, moong dal, also known as mung beans, are cooked until soft with the simple flavors from curry leaves and fresh ginger. This simple and flavorful soup is great when served with rice or crackers, but it's also filling enough to count as a complete meal.
Moong Dal: Indian Mung Bean Soup [Vegan]
- 1 cup mung beans
- 2 green chilis, chopped
- 1/2-1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- Salt, to taste
- Water, as needed
- Wash the mung beans in water, 2-3 times, until the water becomes almost clear.
- In a pressure cooker, add the washed mung beans, along with all the ingredients, and 3–4 cups of water, and mix well.
- Cover it, add the weight, and pressure cook for 2 whistles. One whistle on high flame and another whistle on medium flame, or until the mung beans are mushy.
- Whisk the cooked mung beans, adjust the consistency with water, and add salt, if required, and then boil for 2–3 minutes.
- Serve the soup hot.
You can also cook the soup in a pout, but the amount of time it takes to cook will double.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS
Beans - Mung