Monkey bread is a bundt cake from the 1950s that's like a giant, gooey, sticky-sweet cinnamon bun. In this recipe, aquafaba gives the cake a soft, addictive texture. You'll really want to eat this cake with your hands and with the sweet icing glaze, you won't be able to stop yourself from licking your fingers.
Monkey Bread [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
For the Dough:
- 1 packet of instant yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 cups warm non-dairy milk
- 1/3 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup aquafaba (liquid from a can of chickpeas)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups strong bread flour, plus extra for kneading
For the Assembly:
- 1 cup of whole pecans or walnuts, toasted then chopped
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1 1/3 cups light soft brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon non-dairy milk
- A pinch of cinnamon
To Make the Cake:
- Add the yeast and water to a large mixing bowl and set aside for a few minutes.
- Place the butter and milk in a small saucepan and melt together over a low heat.
- Add the melted butter to the mixing bowl and whisk together with the sugar, aquafaba, and salt.
- Sieve in 4 cups of the flour, mixing together by hand or with the dough hook attachment on an electric mixer. Gradually add in the fifth cup until a firm dough is formed.
- Lightly flour your work surface and tip out the dough onto it. Knead for about 5 minutes, until the dough becomes elastic.
- Lightly brush a large bowl with oil and place the dough ball inside, brushing the dough with oil. Cover with cling film and leave to rise for 1-2 hours, or until the dough has doubled in size.
To Assemble the Cake:
- Grease a bundt pan and add in a handful of the chopped nuts.
- Knock the air out of it by kneading a few times. Form the dough into balls about 1 inch or so in diameter.
- Dip the dough balls a few at a time in the melted butter, then roll in the spiced sugar mixture to coat fully.
- Add one layer to the bottom of the bundt pan, then throw in the remaining nuts. continue to layer up the dough balls until the bundt tin is full.
- Cover in cling film and leave aside to rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove the bundt pan from the oven and allow cool for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a serving dish. Allow to cool for a further 30 minutes before glazing.
To Make the Glaze:
- Whisk all ingredients together and drizzle over the cooled cake. The monkey bread can be served by either pulling apart or slicing.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS